Wednesday, April 14, 2010

GCC Author Interview: April Henry

I'm so excited today because we've got fellow GCCer April Henry here to chat! She's got a new book out-- HAND OF FATE-- with her co-author, Lis Wiehl, and it sounds super exciting.


Here's what it's about:


When the host of a popular radio talk show is murdered, the suspects almost outnumber his millions of listeners. Outspoken radio talk show host Jim Fate dies he opens a package and releases poisonous gas while his polarizing show, "The Hand of Fate," is on air. In the ensuing panic, police evacuate downtown Portland. Soon the triple threat of FBI Special Agent Nicole Hedges, crime reporter Cassidy Shaw and Federal Prosecutor Allison Pierce begin piecing together the madness, motive, and the mystery that lie behind Fate’s murder. While Lis has worked with Bill O’Reilly for years (often serving as the voice of reason or his liberal foil, depending on your point of view), the character is NO WAY based on O’Reilly.

This is the second in the Triple Threat mystery series, which has been optioned for TV. The first, Hand of Fate, one was on the New York Times bestseller list for four weeks! And in April 2011, readers can look for Heart of Ice, which traces the path of a destruction left by a sociopath - and based on a real-life case Lis prosecuted.


Sounds exciting, doesn't it?! But don't just take my word for it! Here's what Publisher's Weekly had to say about it:

"Exciting... readers will identify with these very real women as they try to uncover Fate's killer, and each battles a personal demon—Allison her fear of miscarriage, Nic her fear of her daughter's criminal father, and Cassidy her prescription drug addiction.”


I'm sold! So, without further ado, let's get to our questions!


When did you first begin writing?


I started writing when I was nine or ten - and Roald Dahl helped me get a story I wrote when I was 12 published. It was about a six-foot tall frog named Herman who loved peanut butter. I’ve since lost the story, but I still have the postcard Dahl sent me. I was convinced we were friends.

What are you working on right now?


The next book in the Triple Threat series, Heart of Ice, has gone through almost all the edits. It’s super scary and based on a real-life case Lis prosecuted. I’m editing The Girl in the Mini Cooper, a YA I wrote that is also based on a real life case about a pizza delivery girl who disappeared.

What are you reading right now?


Before I Fall, a young adult book about a girl who keeps reliving the last day of her life, trying to get it right. It’s a real page turner.

How do you fight writer’s block?

I will work on a different scene that falls later in the book. Sometimes I work on an entirely different book. Or I will just force myself to write crap, because you can edit crap, but you can’t edit nothing. Now that I make my living as a writer, I depend on making my deadline to eat, so that is a big motivator!

How do you usually begin your stories—with a character or with a plot?

It’s usually a plot that first inspires me - then I figure out who would be the most affected by that plot.



Thanks so much for stopping by, April! And I hope you'll all check out her latest release, HAND OF FATE.




No comments: