Thursday, May 2, 2013

To self-pub or not to self-pub, that is the question!!

There's been so much talk these days about self-publishing.  Haven't heard about it?  Well, you can check it out here or here. And it's something I've been thinking about for a while. Ever since my imprint closed (RIP, Red Dress Ink!!) and I got the rights back to my first two novels, I've been thinking: what should I do with them now?!

Last summer, I sold my third novel in a two-book deal to St. Martin's, so there wasn't much time to think about it.  My third novel, RECIPE FOR A HAPPY LIFE, comes out July 2 and in anticipation of the launch, I've decided to do something I never thought I'd do.

I'm going to release SCOT ON THE ROCKS and JACK WITH A TWIST myself.  Now, I know what you're thinking-- it's easy to do since the books were already acquired, edited, and then copyedited to within an inch of their life.  And you'd be right.  The books are ready to go.  I read over them and made a few tiny tweaks here and there, but the truth is, all I really had to do was to format them for e-readers, get new covers and then hit "publish."  Easy as that.

So, I reached out to the fabulous Malena Lott over at the Athena Institute (seriously, how gorgeous are her covers?!) and voila!, she created an amazing new cover for SCOT!!


And man, do I love this new cover!  I think it really conveys the sense of fun and romance that are in the book.  I'll be publishing SCOT sometime next week (with JACK to follow closely on its heels) and I'm really excited about the new journey!

So, tell me about your thoughts on self-publishing.  Are you for it?  Against it?  Have you tried it yourself?  I want to hear!!

No comments: