Friday, July 3, 2009

GCC Author interview: Samantha Wilde

You didn't think I'd leave you for the long holiday weekend without some wonderful internet entertainment, now did you?


Today, I've got a great GCC interview all lined up for you: it's Samantha Wilde, who's here to chat about her debut novel, THIS LITTLE MOMMY STAYED HOME. Called "the mother of motherhood novels," it's guaranteed to put a smile on your face!

So, let's go and meet Sam!


Tell us about your most recent novel in 25 words or less.

Joy McGuire, a seemingly normal person with a seemingly normal marriage, has a baby, after which point, nothing is normal again. Not her breasts or her belly or her heart or her marriage. It’s a hilarious, rueful, laugh-out-loud post partum tale about the grueling work of the first nine months of the first baby when change is an urgent necessity that you wish you could run away from.

When did you first begin writing?

I’ve written as long as I can remember. My first book (age 5), I wrote, illustrated and bound. It’s called Forest Dreams, not too bad for a first title.

Where do you find inspiration for your work?

In chocolate. And by being interested in humanity, in people, and in their stories. I love to look at strangers and imagine the whole world they live in that I know nothing about.

What are you reading right now?

I’m reading THE YEAR OF LIVING BIBLICALLY. Very funny. I adore funny books. And funny religious books are especially hard to come by. As a minister, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate them.


Do a quick character study on yourself....

Now, I am a mother. I’m all mothered up and mothered in. My two are one and almost three. I spend my days with them. I’m fascinated by the world of mothering socially, academically, personally. Most of all, I love my children. I’m a book addict, a huge consumer of all things chocolate, a yoga teacher, a minister, have a tiny veggie garden, spend lots of time outside, prefer the country to the city, and walking to running. I will only run if something chases me.


Thanks so much for stopping by, Samantha! Now, on to the Fourth of July barbecues and fireworks! I hope that everyone has a great weekend! See you all next week.

2 comments:

Mitzy said...

good interview! I read the first chapter preview of this book and it looks really interesting! Definitely different than the other books I've been reading lately

Samantha Wilde said...

Thanks for having me, Brenda! I always laugh when I see that picture my husband took of me.